With the new City of Perth Act 2016 expanding the City of Perth boundaries to include an increased number of world class education providers and institutions, the City of Perth continues to increase its focus and commitment to education in the metropolitan area.
The City facilitates a broad range of activities in the education area, including student exchange programs, work with major stakeholders and assistance in the promotion of Perth as a world class education and training destination.
It is important for the City to seek economic opportunities in the education sector such as purpose built student accommodation, inner city schooling, tertiary and vocational education and training (VET) facility relocation to Perth and to assist in the commercialisation of academic and education outputs.
The City supports a three year funding agreement with StudyPerth, a member based organisation that promotes Perth as an education destination. This funding agreement assists to strongly develop Perth as a destination of choice for international education and to attract international students to study in Perth.
- In 2017 Perth was voted by the QS World University Rankings as the 50th top student city in the world.
- Education is the number 2 WA service sector industry after tourism and contributes to 21% of total service exports.
- The City is home to:
The University of Western Australia , ranked 93rd in QS World University Rankings 2018.
The Curtin University Law and Post-Graduate Schools, ranked 262nd QS World University Rankings 2018.
and CQUniversity, ranked in the ‘Top 50 under 50’ which recently was established on William Street.
- In 2015, 44,800 international students contributed more than one-point-three-four-five-billion-dollars ($1.345 billion) to the Western Australia economy (WA Business News).
- This sector contributes approximately 9,000 jobs to West Australians, equivalent to 5 international students creating 1 job.
- Each international student attracts 1.49 visiting friends and relatives from overseas and interstate.
- Study Perth: http://www.studyperth.com.au/
- UWA: https://www.uwa.edu.au/
- Curtin University: https://www.curtin.edu.au
- CQ University: https://www.cqu.edu.au/
- ECU: http://www.ecu.edu.au/
- Murdoch University: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/
- North Metropolitan TAFE: http://www.northmetrotafe.wa.edu.au/
- Student City brochure