Road and Footpath Obstruction Permit
An activity that obstructs any part of a public thoroughfare (e.g roads, footpaths, verges or reserves), using any equipment including cranes, cherry pickers, ladders, mobile scaffolding, waste bins, hand tools or carrying out excavation works or filming, will require a permit.
The City of Perth processes over 300 Obstruction Permits each month. To assist the City in offering the highest level of service to all customers, the Obstruction Permits process has been reviewed and a number of changes will come into effect.
Please take a moment to read the information.
- Applications to be completed and submitted by the organisation who is doing the work, not a third party (traffic management company etc.) as any reinstatements and/or financial liability will be borne by the applicant.
- The minimum time period required for processing of Obstruction Permit applications is 5 business days. If Main Roads approval is required, a minimum of 20 business days must be allowed.
- If you require an urgent approval outside the 5 and 20 day processing times, a fee of $100 is applicable. Our Officers want to provide the best possible service to all of our customers and last minute applications can be problematic.
- For extensions to current Obstruction Permits, the same timeframes apply with a fee of $50. Extensions are only considered when applying during the time period of the current Obstruction Period.
To assist our customers to align with the new timeframes, we will be delaying implementation to 6 May 2019. Please do not hesitate to call and discuss with our team any questions or queries you may have on 9461 3333.
|What you need||Submit online Road and Footpath Obstruction Permit application along with the required documents as outlined below.||Fees||See fees and charges|
Fees and charges
The following fees and charges will apply to your application:
- Standard application and processing fee: $154.45
- Road closure application and processing fee: $275 (additional road closure fee $184.45)
Note: Application fees are non-refundable.
Additional fees that may apply:
- Parking fees
- Works bond.
What documents are required with an application?
Document When Required Diagram of location of works
Required for every application
Diagram of work site layout Required for every application Works staging plans Only required when works will be scheduled in stages Noise management plans Only required if works being undertaken outside of the following hours: 7am - 7pm Monday - Saturday (excluding public holidays)
Notification letter for out of hours works Only required if works being undertaken outside of the following hours: 7am - 7pm Monday - Saturday (excluding public holidays)
Drawing detailing new pits or conduits Where new pits and conduits are being installed Traffic Management Plan Required when the activity that obstructs the passage of vehicles (full road closures or partial road closures)
Traffic Management Plan, in accordance with the Code of Practice, including traffic and pedestrian movement and control. Please refer to Main Roads WA for information on Traffic Management Plans
Notification letter for road closures and diagram showing the proposed distribution area Required when a road will be closed Certificate of Currency - public liability insurance, minimum indemnity of $10m Only required for commercial works