What is Homeless Connect Perth?
The Homeless Connect Perth project provides a “one stop shop” of essential and ongoing services to homeless people or those at risk of homelessness. This annual initiative sponsored by the City of Perth connects Government, community and business sector and volunteers to provide valuable support services to those of us experiencing homelessness.
The aims of the project are;
- Provide immediate services and support to meet the wide range of needs of the guests;
- Empower guests and provide awareness of longer term opportunities and pathways to meet individual needs;
- increase community and business understanding and support through involvement in Homeless Connect Perth;
- Enable better connection of services to meet the holistic needs of the guests, on the day and beyond; and
- Create a day of celebration, home, fun and social connection.
Homeless Connect Perth is based on the “one-stop-shop” model of service provision to homeless and marginalised people that was developed in San Francisco in 2004. Homeless Connect events are now held in over 220 cities across the United States, Canada and Australia. Brisbane City Council piloted Homeless Connect in November 2006 for the first time in Australia.
Since 2008 the City of Perth has presented nine Homeless Connect events in partnership with Volunteering WA. In 2016, more than 1,500 homeless and marginalised people attended the event.
Homeless Connect Perth was held on Wednesday, 9 November 2016 at the Hellenic Centre, the Ruah Centre and Russell Square in Parker Street, Northbridge.
This project would not be possible without the invaluable assistance of over 450 volunteers and supporters who are largely responsible for its continued success - Thank you! If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for Homeless Connect please contact Maurene Palmer at Volunteering WA, 9482 4302.
For other information please contact:
City of Perth Community Development Coordinator
You may be interested in viewing the following:
Self Help Service Directories:
Statistical Information about Homelessness:
'Counting the Homeless 2006' - available from the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.