Forrest Place Masterplan
The Masterplan objective is to re-establish Forrest Place as the premier civic space within the City of Perth and develop the supporting urban spaces of Wellington Street and Perth Station forecourt as legible, safe and stimulating places for all people at all times of the day and all year round.
You may download and view the Masterplan (see link on right, below images).
Key initiatives (indicated by red numbered boxes on the plan following) are described in detail below the plan.
1. New sloping forecourt between Forrest Place and Perth Station building to improve pedestrian access.
2. Loading dock ramp and pedestrian footpath improvements including widening of footpath on Southern edge of Wellington St to improve pedestrian access and queuing for CAT Bus stand.
3. Demolition of redundant pedestrian overpass between Albert Facey House and the Horseshoe Bridge. Note during the next stage of the project consideration will need to be given to the Step One community group that currently operate from a mini-van on the northern footpath near the underside of the overpass.
4. New permanent stage and shade structure.
5. New public toilet facilities.
6. Improvements to WA Visitors Information Centre.
7. Relocation of City of Perth Info Booth to reduce clutter and improve views through the square.
8. New tenancies on Wellington Street in front of Australind platform to improve street activation. Including removal of existing “Figure-8” taxi stand and implementation of new improved taxi and bus stands on Wellington Steet.
9. Implementation of new water feature and removal of sunken central portion of Forrest Place to create a level more flexible surface throughout.
10. Facilitating events and performances in Forrest Place.
11. Public art opportunities including implementation or new major international public art installation.
12. New laneway slab between GPO and Commonwealth Bank.
13. Provision change rooms under northern end of Forrest Place after demolition of existing redundant public toilets and undercroft carpark.
14. Relocation of Bocellis Café.
15. Modification of existing escalator and ventilation tower.