In November 2018, Commissioners and the Acting CEO undertook an operational review (Stage 1) to improve efficiencies in the delivery of services to customers, community and stakeholders and to re-establish the City of Perth as a local government exemplar.
The review found delivery of services could be more efficient and to address these, the City began to plan corporate recovery (Stage 2) and developed the Corporate Recovery Implementation Plan (CRIP).
The CRIP will be delivered over a three-year period from July 2019 and April 2022 (Stage 3) under the guidance of a new executive team providing united strategic leadership and improving synergies within the organisation, and is expected to produce operational efficiencies in seven key areas: Leadership, Integrated Strategic Planning, Customers and Stakeholders, Information and Knowledge Management, People Management, Process Management, Improvement and Innovation and Results and Sustainable Performance.
The CRIP is now at 31% completion.
Seven Key Improvement Areas
A high performing Executive, the creation of a collaborative environment supported by effective business management.
- Executive coaching to establish leadership behaviour and alignment of direction.
- Drive culture change and a sense of ownership across the organisation.
- Establish an alliance structure that is aligned with the provision of services.
- Breakdown of silos though formal and informal communication mechanisms.
- A good governance approach that drives appropriate Council and organisational behaviours.
- Develop Governance, HR and Procurement practices and procedures that reduce organisational risk and establishes the City as a leading example in each of these fields.
Integrated Strategic Planning
Integrated Planning all the way from the Strategic Community Plan to the Corporate Business Plan, implemented through connected and informed Service Plans and budgets.
- A shared sense of direction from the community as reflected in the Strategic Community Plan.
- Integrated Planning from the Strategic Community Plan to all strategies and plans, all the way through to service plans and the budget.
- Clear visibility on how all strategies and plans integrate to deliver measurable strategic outcomes.
- An integrated financial system to enable costed delivery of strategies and plans.
Customers and Stakeholders
A customer focus that optimises the method of delivery and the impact of the service provided.
- Community, Stakeholder and Partnership engagement and management that delivers the best outcomes for the City, its stakeholders and the greater metropolitan region.
- A holistic approach to communication and marketing that is informative to all stakeholders.
- Solutions that enable end-to-end customer service.
Information and Knowledge Management
Visible management of information, supported by a comprehensive Information Communications Technology (ICT) strategy and integrated financial systems.
- Visibly manage relevant information and data, supported by a comprehensive ICT strategy and integrated systems.
- Project, Risk and Knowledge Management approaches that ensure sharing of information across the organisation to enhance strategic and operational outcomes.
- Corporate measurement and feedback mechanisms that enable informed decision making.
Planning and allowing for a workforce that is supported and empowered to deliver the best outcomes for the City and its customers.
- Honest and open communication to establish strong relationships through mutual trust and respect.
- A variety of mechanisms for the development of staff skills and competencies.
- Provision of a safe workplace that supports enhances the wellbeing of all staff members.
Process Management, Improvement and Innovation
Improvement and innovation as a way of doing business, supported by systems and processes to enable this.
- Addressing the gap between stakeholder requirements and internal resource and process capabilities.
- End-to-end process implementation to optimise the value as perceived by the customer.
- Process optimisation proven through effective approaches to measurement.
Result and Sustainable Performance
Planned and integrated measurement of performance, followed by actions to rectify areas of poor performance.
- Ongoing tracking of the development and implementation of identified strategies and plans to ensure achievement of the Community Aspirations as set out in the Strategic Community Plan.
- Regular internal and external communication of the outcomes achieved.
- Ensure that improvements made are sustainable in the long term and effectively measured.