- Monday - Friday: 8am to 6pm
- Saturday: 10am to 4pm
- Sunday: 12noon to 4pm
- Public holidays: CLOSED
Conditions of Use
Please read the City of Perth Library Conditions of Use.
The new City of Perth Library at 573 Hay St opened on Tuesday 1 March 2016.
This multi-level Library is located next to the Perth Town Hall, fronting Hay Street, and is accessible from St Georges Terrace via the Cathedral Square precinct. It is the first major civic building to be constructed since the Perth Concert Hall was built nearly 45 years ago.
Conveniently located in the heart of the City, the Library is used by residents, City workers, students, tourists, visitors and shoppers.
The Library building covers 3,500 square metres and is revealed over seven levels. Visitors can explore the Library's ceiling artwork, bookable rooms, cafe, function spaces, outdoor terrace and zones for young adults and families. The Library offers fiction and non-fiction book collections, DVDs, magazines, newspapers and a host of online resources.
The City of Perth Library provides a true sense of place, with opportunities for community interaction as well as quiet and reflective spaces.
- Green wall
- Video conferencing facilities
- Digital media wall
- Dedicated Young Adult level
- Dedicated Children’s level
- Dedicated History Centre level
- Outdoor terrace
- 90-seat auditorium
- Meeting rooms
- Free WiFi
- Public use computers on the Ground Floor and Level 2
- Ceiling art
- Reduced environmental footprint from construction by recycling more than 80 percent of construction waste.
- Innovative high efficiency facade design, maximising thermal comfort, energy efficiency and natural daylight performance.
- High water efficiency fittings and fixtures.
- 35 percent reduction in energy consumption when compared with the benchmark building. This is due to high efficiency lighting, and control and bespoke air conditioning systems.
There is no parking just for the Library, but the closest car park is next to Council House on St George’s Terrace. You could also walk from the Pier Street car park.
By train, the Library is about a 15 minute walk from both the Esplanade station or the Perth Underground station. The Red Cat bus stops at the Town Hall which is close to the Library on Hay Street.