The City of Perth offers heritage grants and rate concession for rateable, heritage listed properties within the city.
The primary objective of the Heritage Grants Program is to support, assist and encourage owners to conserve and continue the active use of heritage places. Heritage Grants are a key component of the City’s heritage incentives program and are primarily focused on the conservation, rather than maintenance, of heritage places.
Full funding to a maximum of $20,000 (excluding GST) will be considered for the preparation of a Conservation Management Plan or other studies, reports or technical advice prepared to inform the future retention, conservation and use of a heritage place. Matched funding of up to $90,000 (excluding GST) will be considered for physical works related to the conservation or adaptive re-use of individual properties.
Rateable properties within the City of Perth Local Government Area, that are listed as a Heritage Place in the City of Perth City Planning Scheme, listed in the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority heritage inventory, or are a building with identified cultural heritage significance’ in a Heritage Area in the City of Perth Planning Scheme, are eligible.
Heritage Grants are available for a wide range of works. These include:
- reconstruction and restoration of significant heritage fabric that is visible from the public realm or in publicly accessible locations;
- façade works that visually reconnect the ground floor to intact upper floors;
- replacement of significant heritage fabric with new fabric using traditional materials and building techniques;
- works required to stabilise a place, for example, to manage severe deterioration or avoid demolition or demolition through neglect;
- works required for fire, service and access upgrades to comply with the Building Code of Australia or to enable the ongoing or adaptive reuse of a heritage place;
- removal of non-structural intrusive elements, that are visible from the public realm;
- interpretation that reveals or enhances an understanding of the cultural heritage significance of a place, where this is not readily apparent;
- studies, reports or advice that informs the future retention, conservation and use of a heritage place; and Conservation Management Plans.
For further details on funding inclusions, eligibility criteria and information requirements for applications, please refer to the Heritage Grants Program Guidelines.
Applications must be submitted electronically via the City’s online management system https://perth.smartygrants.com.au/. Applications can be submitted at any time.
The City of Perth may also be able to tailor individual incentive and grant packages for larger, more complex projects. Talk to our staff at an early stage to see the various ways we can help.
For more information or to arrange a meeting with City representatives to discuss a possible Heritage Grant application contact the City of Perth on 9461 3333 or complete an ONLINE ENQUIRY FORM.
Heritage Rate Concession
The City of Perth offers a concession on rates for heritage listed properties within the City. To find out if you are eligible and to apply for the Heritage Rate Concession please refer to Policy 9.2 Heritage Rate Concession in the City of Perth Policy Manual.
To apply for the concession please complete the online form below, or alternatively download the PDF Application Form and Maintenance Schedule and Agreement and hand deliver or post it to the City of Perth.
If you are an existing applicant and wish to submit supporting documents please complete the relevant online form below.
For all enquiries and further information please contact the Heritage team on 9461 3333 or submit an online enquiry below.