The City of Perth has been formally involved in international engagement activities since the establishment of the City’s first Sister City relationship with the City of Kagoshima in Japan in 1974. Since this time, the City has developed other Sister City and Charter of Mutual Friendship relationships, with Perth now having eleven Sister City relationships:
- Chengdu, China, established 2010.
- Houston, Texas, established 1984.
- Kagoshima, Japan, established 1974.
- Megisti, Greece, established 1984.
- Nanjing, China, established 1998.
- Perth, Scotland, established 2006.
- Rhodes, Greece, established 1984.
- San Diego, California, established 1987.
- Seocho City, Republic of Korea, established 2008.
- Taipei, Taiwan, established 1999.
- Vasto, Italy, established 1989.
Sister City agreements encourage people-to-people interaction by providing citizens with the opportunity to participate in cultural, educational, trade and knowledge sharing exchange programs across cities.
More recently, our Sister City relationships have created opportunities to support economic growth across a variety of business and industry sectors. With established government and business contacts in a variety of cities, the Sister City program acts as a gateway to new markets providing trade, investment and knowledge-sharing opportunities. Through our Sister City program, many Perth-based organisations have been able to develop international economic partnerships.