Rates & Payments
For any enquires regarding rates please contact our Rates Team:
|Telephone:||(08) 9461 3296|
|Fax:||(08) 9461 3069|
City of Perth Annual Budget
The City's Annual Budget document is provided for your reference: City of Perth Annual Budget 2018-19
|Instalment schedule||Issue date||Due date for payment|
|Instalment scheduleNotice issued||Issue dateMonday, 16 July 2018||Due date for paymentTuesday, 21 August 2018|
|Instalment schedule2nd instalment||Issue dateTuesday, 11 September 2018||Due date for paymentTuesday, 16 October 2018|
|Instalment schedule3rd instalment||Issue dateWednesday, 14 November 2018||Due date for paymentTuesday, 18 December 2018|
|Instalment schedule4th instalment||Issue dateMonday, 14 January 2019||Due date for paymentMonday, 18 February 2019|
Objects of Differential Rates
Rates Notice of Intention to Levy
|Land Use||Cents per Dollar|
|Land UseCommercial (including Retail and Hotel)||Cents per Dollar5.56344|
|Land UseOffice||Cents per Dollar4.55125|
|Land UseResidential||Cents per Dollar5.74033|
|Land UseVacant Land||Cents per Dollar6.25865|
|Land UseMinimum Payment||Cents per Dollar$705|
For more information, view objects and reasons.
Emergency Services Levy (ESL)
The State Government introduced an Emergency Services Levy (ESL) in 2003/04 to fund the services provided by the Department of Fire and Emergencies Services of Western Australia (DFES). Local Councils across the state are required to include the levy on their rates accounts and collect it on behalf of DFES. Enquiries regarding ESL may be directed to DFES on:
2018/19 rate for ESL is 1.4486 cents per dollar of valuation – in DFES’s Category 1 Area. The minimum charge for ESL is $82. The maximum charge for Residential, Multi Residential and Vacant properties is $430. The maximum charge for Commercial, Industrial and Miscellaneous is $245,000.
Waste Management Service
The City has a separate waste management charge, to encourage waste minimisation. The charges are recorded separately so that ratepayers can easily identify them. In keeping with the "user pays" principle, those ratepayers who wish to make greater demands on this service will also contribute more to maintain it.
The waste management charges are annual charges for a weekly collection service.
Goods and Services Tax (GST)
GST does not apply to Local Government Rates or ESL. It is applicable to rubbish hire service charges on the Rates notices.
Rates and Ownership Details
|ItemStreet Order Roll - Paper Copy (*This cannot be purchased for Commercial purposes)||Cost$220|
|ItemProperty Orders & Requisitions||Cost$95.00|
|ItemRate Enquiries||Cost $44.50|
*Note: Amendments to the Local Government (Administration) Regulations 1996 now restrict the availability of electoral and rate record details to the public. A person wanting a copy of information of the rate record (street order roll) must now complete a statutory declaration confirming that the information will not be used for commercial purposes.
“Commercial purpose” is defined as: to seek to obtain by formal application a public record for the purpose of the sale or resale or the producing of a document containing all or part of the copy, printout or photograph for sale, and/or obtaining of names and addresses from the public record for the purpose of solicitation, and/or monetary gain from the direct or indirect use of the public record.
Changes to Property Valuations Explained
View Interim Rates Explained for more information.
Objections and Appeals related to Gross Rental Values
Landgate’s Valuation Services has conducted a General Valuation of the Gross Rental Values (GRV’s) of properties within the City of Perth. This is in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act 1978 and is conducted every 3 years. The new GRV’s are effective from 1 July 2017 and apply to the Rates and Emergency Services Levy. The volatility in Perth’s rental market over the past few years has caused significant movement in some Gross Rental assessments. Please note that the GRV’s have been determined on the valuation date of 1 August 2015. The previous valuation date was 1 August 2012.
The Valuation of Land Act part IV sets out the manner in which objections and appeals may be instituted in regards to valuations. A property owner may lodge an objection against the valuation of a property within 60 days of the date of issue of a rate notice. Please go to the Landgate website or call them direct on (08) 9273 7373.
Ratepayers should note that the rates must be paid as assessed, irrespective of when an Objection has been lodged. Any reduction in valuation and therefore rates, as a result of a successful Objection, will be refunded. Objections are not applicable on Instalment notices. Each rate notice details the property land use. If you believe that the land use is incorrectly shown, please advise Council's Rates section.
If you wish to make a formal objection to the valuation after you have made contact with their office, you can complete the Landgate Lodging an Objection Form online.
For more information view the Landgate Revaluation Services Brochure.
Electronic Rate Notices
Note: The registration for erates is NOT a notification to the City of a change of postal address. If you wish to change your postal address, please click here.
Please read the following information, terms and conditions before registering at the end of this page.
If you wish to register to receive your rates in future via email, please complete the below details. Once completed, you will receive an email that asks you to complete your registration by clicking on a link. Once this has been completed, it will activate your registration.
Things to be aware of before applying:
- There can only be one email address for each notice.
- If there is more than one owner of the property and both owners inadvertently apply the electronic notice by default will be issued to the email address of the last person who registered.
- The registration process will automatically close seven (7) days prior to the issue date of any rate notice. The installment dates are:
Instalment schedule Issue date Due date for payment Notice issued Monday, 16 July 2018 Tuesday, 21 August 2018 2nd instalment Tuesday, 11 September 2018 Tuesday, 16 October 2018 3rd instalment Wednesday, 14 November 2018 Tuesday, 18 December 2018 4th instalment Monday, 14 January 2019 Monday, 18 February 2019
- If the registration or amendment has not been received in time for when the next notice is issued, you will automatically receive your rate notice by post.
Are you the Owner or the Agent of the Owner?
If you are not the Owner or the Agent of the Owner you are ineligible to register.
Terms and Conditions
Following receipt of your request:
- For the purposes of these terms and conditions reference to a rate notice also includes reference to any rate instalment notices.
You agree to receive your rate notice by email and understand that a paper document will not be sent (except in the case where a property has interim rates raised, a paper notice will be issued).
- You confirm you are the registered owner of the property address shown below.
- All future rate notices will be in the form of a PDF attachment to an email sent to the email address nominated by you below.
- If you own more than one property you will need to register separately for each property. Separate email notifications will be issued matching the number of registrations received.
- You must advise any other person to whom paper rate notices are currently being sent, that they will no longer receive paper rate notices as a result of your request. If you authorise an Agent to act on your behalf and want paper copies to be issued in lieu of your electronic rate notice registration, you must also notify the Agent and 'unsubscribe' from your erates registration. Council will not provide this information.
- You must regularly check your nominated email address for rate notices.
- You agree that rate notices are deemed served when it reaches your internet service provider, whether or not you have opened or read the email.
- An “out of office” notification will not be considered an undeliverable rate notice.
- You agree that you will retain the rate notice information yourself electronically or by printing it. A fee is charged for reprints of notices.
If you change your email or mobile number, you are required to notify Council. Simply "Click here" to amend your details.
- Should Council receive an electronic “delivery failure” notification from your email address your request for email delivery will be cancelled and a paper document will be posted to the last advised postal address.
- How to Unsubscribe.
You can withdraw your request for email delivery of your rate notice at any time. To unsubscribe, please click on the link that is contained within your confirmation email for erates and enter your details.
Alternatively, you can click here to unsubscribe.after which you will receive a message to confirm that you have unsubscribed from eRates. Any future notices issued seven (7) days after you have unsubscribed will be issued by post.
TBA Accordion Item