Small business advice
Emergency & Disaster ReliefPerth is the place where people, ideas and industry meet, creating a dynamic and fast-paced business environment that drives the development of the Western Australian economy.
- Perth city’s $41.8 billion economy represents approximately 25.9 per cent of greater Perth’s economy (REMPLAN 2016) and is larger than many nation states including Paraguay, Cambodia and Iceland (IMF 2016).
- WA’s gross state product (GSP) was $240 billion in 2015-16 (DSD WA Economic Profile).
- The population of WA is 2.57 million people, with the greater Perth area accounting for approximately two million (DSD WA Economic Profile).
- The population of Western Australia is forecast to reach 3.27 million by 2026 (DSD WA Economic Profile).
- Mining, resources and energy.
- Property development and construction.
- Innovation and technology.
- Education and international student services.
- Medical, health and life sciences and medical research.
- Tourism, retail and hospitality.
The City of Perth’s Economic Development Unit (EDU) is responsible for assisting with the development and growth of the city’s local economy. This objective is achieved by working with existing and emerging industry sectors to promote Perth as a high calibre business and investment destination.
Key services include:
- Local business attraction, retention and development planning.
- Development and support of the resource; tourism; knowledge and innovation, education, health and life science based industries.
- Promotion of knowledge and opportunities relevant to businesses in a wide range of industry sectors.
- Management and facilitation of foreign direct investment.
- Facilitation of positive relationships and transactions with international markets.
- Market research and data collection.
- Enhancement of the night time economy.
- Investigation and support for property and development initiatives.
- Assistance with securing federal funding for economic development initiatives.
The City of Perth’s Business Support team strives to provide a flourishing and prosperous business environment, develop small and medium businesses and encourage local and diverse entrepreneurialism at a neighbourhood level.
The team flies the flag for small and medium business, with a program of engagement initiatives which allow for high quality, effective two-way communications between business and the City.
Key services include:
• Business advice.
• Business engagement (face-to-face).
• Business information briefings, educational workshops and networking events.
• Business communication e-newsletter and alerts.
• Business resources (website, materials, services, education).
- City of Perth Strategic Community Plan
- City of Perth grants and sponsorships
- Programs and initiatives
- Business Support brochure
Business events and networking
The City of Perth aims to help business by providing business events, innovative support programs, leadership recognition and unique opportunities for networking. The City holds regular business workshops on a range of topics to support small and medium businesses to thrive within the city environment. The business must be located within the City of Perth to be eligible to attend. A maximum of two participants per business may secure tickets for each workshop.
These workshops are also a great opportunity to connect and network with other businesses, however tickets are limited and supplied on a first in first served basis. To find out the upcoming workshops for city businesses please contact Business Support on (08) 9461 3237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergencies, Safety and CCTV Surveillance
The City of Perth works closely with the WA Police and other agencies to keep the City safe and minimise crime and antisocial behaviour. Learn more about our services, strategies and initiatives to do this.
Businesses, residents and visitors all need to think about city emergencies and how to respond.
Watch our Are you Prepared Perth? videos to learn more.
Are you Prepared Perth? Business brochure
Businesses have plenty to consider if an emergency occurs in or around their premises. Learn more on preparation, response and getting you business running again after an event.
Safety and CCTV Surveillance
The City of Perth work with the Police and other agencies, and has many initiatives which aim to keep people safe and minimise damage and crime. We aim to prevent negative events that impact on your business safety and should something occur, respond as quickly as possible.
You will find information from the Safety and CCTV Surveillance page about business safety, 24 hour CCTV Surveillance and safer spaces.
Who to CallThe City has prepared a Businesses Reporting Numbers guide to help you direct your call to the right agency, for the right incident occurring around your business premises or in your business neighbourhood.
Creating Safer Spaces
The City of Perth Creating Safer Spaces: Design guidelines to reduce crime and antisocial behaviour has been developed to give designers, residents, businesses and event planners the tools to create a safe built environment. Learn how you can include these measures in your business by downloading the City of Perth Creating Safer Spaces: Design guidelines to reduce crime and antisocial behaviour.
Our rangers work to ensure community safety and compliance with local laws. They assist businesses in many ways including foot and bike patrols of malls and inner city, and car patrols in other areas. They are always happy to chat with you.
Learn more about how they help manage buskers, street traders, events, litter and obstructions.